Radiation Monitoring and Emergency Response System of the Arkangelsk Region
Nuclear hazards are located close to Archangelsk and Severodvinsk but with no emergency response system in place and only a few elements of radiation monitoring available, accidents at storage facilities would cause an immediate threat to the adjacent populations. Work to establish a comprehensive and integrated radiation monitoring and emergency response system in the Arkhangelsk region was completed in September 2011 in accordance with the initial programme and on budget.
The recommendations from the IAEA expert mission were included in a contract extension and this additional work has now been completed. The scope of work included:
- Detail review of the IAEA mission report.
- Advanced training of key personnel.
- Additional equipment for the Training Centre for specialised training.
- Prepare and conduct an emergency exercise to test the interaction between participants of
the emergency response system (which took place in July 2012).
The work was concluded in September 2012 and the Grant Implementing Agreement will be formally closed out.
At a glance
- Nuclear safety
- Administration of the Arkangelsk Region
- Grant agreement signed:
- Project status:
- Pending approval
- Implementing IFI:
- NDEP Grant
- Senior Programme Manager
- One Exchange Square
- Email: email@example.com