Sosnovy Bor Water and Wastewater Rehabilitation
Sosnovy Bor is a small town some 80 kilometers west from St Petersburg. Wastewater treatment facilities in major towns around the Baltic Sea have by and large been upgraded to comply with EU standards and HELCOM recommendations. Small municipalities, such Sosnovy Bor, and their combined effect need to be addressed next in order to reduce eutrophication of the Baltic Sea. With the proposed investment, Sosnovy Bor will be the first municipality in northwest Russia outside of St Petersburg to implement enhanced phosphorus removal using chemical treatment.
The wastewater treatment plant is operational but inefficient. Its energy consumption is very high, it does not deploy chemical treatment of wastewater and has no sludge disposal system. The investment aims to rehabilitate facilities by:
- installing new air blowers, compressors and pumps to improve energy efficiency;
- constructing a sludge drying unit to handle solid waste and
- adding phosphorus removal facilities for improved chemical treatment.
The outcomes of the project are:
- reduction of phosphorus load to the Baltic Sea by 22 000 t/a;
- energy efficiency improvements that will reduce CO2 emisions and
- a sustainable solution for disposing sludge from treated wastewater.
At a glance
- Water and wastewater treatment
- Sosnovy Bor Vodokanal
- Grant agreement signed:
- Project status:
- Implementing IFI:
- Local contribution
- NDEP Grant
- Fabianinkatu 34
- Email: email@example.com